Chelmsford was made a market town in 1199 (a market still operates today). The name comes from 'Ceolmaer's ford' and appeared in the Doomsday Book (1086) as 'Celmeresfort', records state that around 1189 it become 'Chelmsford'.
The earliest settlers in the area were the Romans who made a road from Colchester to London and settled making a fort and a surrounding town in 60AD.
Chelmsford held many a witch in the 17th century, when The Witch finder General, Matthew Hopkins, tried, imprisoned, and hung many suspects of witchcraft.During World War 2 Chelmsford came under attack from above as bombers targeted the local factories. Henry Road was worst hit with many houses destroyed and nearly 40 people killed and over 130 injured. There is a monument for those who lost their lives in the cemetery on Writtle road.